Practice Management and Professional Development Committee
Charge of the ACOI Practice Management and Professional Development Committee
- Justification The ACOI is committed to enhancing the professional and personal development of the family of osteopathic internists through education, advocacy, research and the opportunity for service. The Committee on Practice Management provides an opportunity for ACOI members to serve their profession by taking an active roll in addressing economic issues that have an impact on the practice of osteopathic internal medicine. Recognizing the indispensable role that effective practice management plays in the successful operation of a physician's practice and the value of providing these essential tools to the ACOI membership, the ACOI Practice Management Committee shall be established as a standing committee.
- Identify and advance means through which the ACOI can assist its members to provide patient care in a more efficient and effective manner.
- Identify and promote educational opportunities to assist practicing physicians in the operation of their practices and to prepare members in training to enter the health care delivery system.
- Where appropriate, work in conjunction with the ACOI Committee on Government Affairs to identify and analyze federal health care policy that impacts the economics of the health care delivery system.
- The Committee shall make recommendations to the Board of Directors in conjunction with its review and analysis of practice management issues.
- Committee Membership
- The Committee shall consist of at least six (6) members selected by the President and approved by the Board of Directors. The President shall choose the chairman from the Committee membership for a term of one year. A chairman may serve consecutive years.
- Committee members shall serve a term of three (3) years with a maximum of two (2) terms permitted. A term limit may be waived at the recommendation of the President and with the consent of the Board of Directors.
- The Committee shall include at least one (1) member of the ACOI Committee on Government Affairs.
- A report shall be submitted to the Board of Directors at the semiannual meetings.
- The chairman of the Practice Management Committee shall determine, in conjunction with the Committee membership, the frequency of meetings to conduct the business of the Committee and accomplish the charge set forth.
- Responsible Staff Person The Executive Director or staff appointee shall be assigned to the Committee to facilitate the Committee's operation. The Executive Director or staff representative may serve as the Secretary of the Committee.
- Self Evaluation Plan The Committee shall evaluate itself annually. The evaluation should provide for a review of the activity of the Committee, a reporting of the participation of the Committee members in Committee meetings and a review of any actions taken or recommendations made by the Committee. Emphasis of the report should relate to the mission of the ACOI and enhancing the benefits made available to ACOI membership.